About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Friday 5 September 2014

The Mirror Crack'd - Mixed Media Challenge Blog - Challenge 1 - Anything Goes!!

Today sees the launch of a brand new challenge blog called The Mirror Crack'd. It's specifically for Mixed Media - so no cards or projects created completely digitally. It's all about getting messy - think decorating and altering canvases, mdf and papier mache items  - art journalling, altered books - upcycling and recycling!! Use ink, paint, chalks, texture paste, gilding wax, gilding flakes, embossing powders - the list is endless. And then add charms, old keys, buttons, gems etc etc. 

Our first challenge to get you all started is 'Anything Goes' - so let your imagination run wild!! Before I start, I must say that I am no expert at Mixed Media. But when I'm not card making, I like decorating boxes and canvases and have come to 'Mixed Media' by that route. There are lots of extremely talented and experienced artists on the team - and I feel very lucky to be asked to be part of it. Hopefully I will help those of you that are new to this - and inspire some of you to have a go! My philosophy is that there is no right or wrong - and you can always paint over something you don't like (and I frequently do)

My piece started life as a black mirror bought from that well-known Swedish shop. Ages ago I painted it with Magnolia Emulsion - but never got any further. So, thought it was about time I did something with it!!
I had a rummage through my (extensive) paper stash before I started to try to decide what colour scheme I wanted to go with. Once I that was done I could work out what paints to use. I discovered DoCrafts Artiste Acrylic Paints on a workshop with Hels Sheridan - and loved them so much that I am beginning to add them to my paint collection. Using a dry brush, I painted the frame with Sea Spray.
Next, I cut out frames from the two sheets of paper. They both from DoCrafts - The pale one is Boofle - and the dark one I think is a Papermania Capsule Collection. 
 The edges were distressed with a pair of scissors.
 And then I had a play with my new Stampendous Frantage - this one is Shabby White. Really love this stuff now!! 
 I then stuck the paper frames onto the wooden one using Mod Podge. Then, a little of the Sea Spray paint watered down, was put over the whole lot to make it all blend together better.
I didn't really put enough sticky stuff underneath the papers - so I had a few wrinkles when I went over the top with the Mod Podge. So I decided to get a wet sponge and go over the top to try to smooth it out. It didn't seem to want to work so I walked away from - but once it dried it looked fine - so no problems!! 
The next stage was to add some texture paste - this is cheap stuff that I got in a set from Lidl. I used the Creative Expressions Doodle Daisies Stencil, and started with a Crystal Paste (which dries almost transparent) - then offset it slightly and used the Structure Paste which dries white.
 I added silver flat-backed pearls to the middles of the daisies, and made an arrangement of buttons on either side.
 To make the leaves and flowers, I painted more of the diluted Sea Foam over scraps of the paper - the one in the middle is just the reverse side of the Boofle Paper. 
The leaves are cut with Spellbinders Foliage dies, and the swirls are Floral Flourish! All of these were given a waft of Crafter's Companion Pearl Diamond Spray.
 Out of the plain paper, I cut flowers with the largest of the Carnation Creations dies. I stamped them with one of the Boofle Urban Textured Background stamps using Perfect Medium and Whispers Sea Foam Embossing Powder.
I then got out my trusty Melt Pot, and threw in some Clear, Pure White and Lapis Green UTEE - and swirled in some Creative Expressions Silver Mica Powder for good measure. This was poured into a silcone mould to produce the three different size flowers for the bottom corner. I used some CE Pearl hat pins and a little ribbon to finish off. 
In the top corner I used a different mould to create three roses - all the same size this time. The butterfly is actually a magnet!!  
So there you have it!! 
And now it's over to you!! Remember - no cards or completely digitally produced items (by all means use elements created on the computer and printed out). For more inspiration pop over to The Mirror Crack'd to see all the incredible inspiration from the team!! And then get messy - we're really looking forward to all your creations!! The challenge runs for a month - so you have plenty of time!!

I would like to enter this into:
Crafty Girls Challenges - Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door - Anything Goes

Cxxx

5 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous!! I love the soft greens and delicate patterns of your papers! All your fabulous flowers and buttons! Amazing project for the first challenge! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carole,
    Oooolala, this is just gorgeous, the step by step very informative, the palette is warm, calm and friendly, those paints look great.
    You have created wonderful texture with the media you have used, I love this project.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is beautiful, and I love your step by step tutorial. Thank you for joining TTCRD this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Carole, such gorgeous soft colours and beautifully made.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful frame Carole!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx