About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Friday 14 March 2014

Ahoy there!!

Am still on a bit of a high over everything that's happening to me craft wise at the moment. There's lots to take in and loads of information to assimilate - but I'm getting there!! I decided to treat myself today and bought some new fabric fat quarters. Have a few little things in mind for it - if I have time.

On to today's card. Whenever I get commissioned to make a card, I always start with the basic questions - what's the occasion, what size, box or envelope, any specific colours, themes, words etc. And sometimes I do get asked for some interesting things. The brief for this one was a first wedding anniversary card for an elderly couple - he likes sailing - she likes flowers. Have to admit that I spent a lot of time pondering this one!! 
Then I remembered that I had a sailing ship topper from an old Kanban kit. There was a round topper and another ship to decoupage on top. As I normally make the top of the box the same as the card, I needed them to be identical, so cut out the ship from the topper.
The base of the 6x6 card was made from a large sheet of Centura Pearl card and embossed with my Grand MBossabilities folder. I created a 'wave' effect by cutting another piece of Centura Pearl with the Scalloped Spellbinders Edgeability and one of the inserts from the same set. The papers for the flowers and circles echo the colours on the sail, and are from my stash - some Brenda Pinnick and some Papermania (I think). The decorative green circle was cut with my Spellbinders Splendid Circle die.
I used the Bitty Blossoms die to make the flowers, and the swirls are from the Floral Flourishes set. I used a little wooden alphabet set to stamp the names in Walnut Stain DI. I edged most of the die cuts with the DI too. The brown ribbon and pearls are from my stash - and I added a little Cosmic Shimmer Aqua Twinkles to some parts of the ship's sails.
The box was scored using my Ultimate. The lid was decorated almost identically to the card. I like to decorate the inside too. This time I used an anchor charm (from The Range) and some little metal flowers I won in a challenge, along with more die cut circles. 

After my hesitant start with this card, I was really pleased how it turned out. And so was the lady who commissioned it. And the recipient - so much so that they have in turn have commissioned a 50th card from me!!

Anyway, I would like to enter this into:
Moving Along With The Times - Make a box and decorate it
Through the Craftroom Door - Anything Goes

Cxxx

4 comments:

  1. Can't beat someone asking for a card from you because of one they have received, not surprised as it is is just beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful project love it thank you for joining in with us at MAWTT and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Carole!!! Stunning image and flowers!
    Thanks for joining the TTCRD challenges!
    Hugs,Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greta box, I love the range of muted shades you've got in there

    Thank you so much for leaving a lovely comment on my blog

    Happy Sunday!

    Hugs

    Bridie@BGPayne Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx