About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Friday 7 February 2014

My Valentine!!

I have decided to go with some pretty unconventional colours for my husband's Valentine's card this year. I've got a thing about blue and green at the moment (the previous two posts have also had this colour combination!)- and couldn't tear myself away from it. So, here it is:
The image is from Pink Gem Designs - called Flower Heart. It comes in four colour ways - black, black outline, coffee and pink. I used the PNG versions to layer a black outline stamp on top of a black stamp. I then took my Promarkers and coloured the edges with Marine and the flowers with Green Shoot. This was cut out with the largest of my XCut heart nesting dies.

At this point, I decided it needed more height, so printed the image again twice - this time onto Papermill Spring Green card. I fussy cut out a layer slightly smaller than the original, and also the three largest flowers. Initially I was just going to leave them like that, but decided to colour over them with the Green Shoot pen - hence the slightly different colour in the middle. The centres of the flowers are coloured with Marine. I drew around the large heart die to create the Spring Green mat for the image to sit on. 

The base is made from a piece of Papermill Teal card. On top of this is the Spring Green embossed with Grand MBossabilites Dainty Dots. The next layer is Bazzill Bling, with a piece of DP from a cheap 6x6 Vintage paper pad. Another smaller piece of Bazzill Bling is topped with Spring Green embossed with Creative Expressions Cascading Hearts A4 embossing folder. 

The large piece across the centre is from a Create and Craft Textured effect pad. The ribbon is a green/gold colour. I was instantly drawn to it when looking through my ribbons, but then hummed and hawed about using it. Having exhausted all other possibilities (and believe me I have a very extensive ribbon stash) I somehow couldn't find anything else I liked better. The small hearts are cut using the smallest of the XCut Heart and Scalloped Heart nesting dies. The two buttons and the pearls are from my stash.

I finished off by stamping his name and 'love you' with Blue China DI onto scraps of the Spring Green.

As I said - very unconventional colours - maybe even a little jarring for some people. But I kind of like that - and I hope he will too.

I am entering this into Papermill's Valentine competition. He has promised me he won't look at my blog until after he has seen the card!! 

Cxx

1 comment:

  1. I love this colour combination Carole and I'm sure your husband very much appreciated his card! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx