About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Monday 6 January 2014

CCM+ 107 - Bear With Me

Welcome to the first Crafty Cardmakers blog of 2014. It's all change this year for us. Lin has shaken things up a bit - and rejigged everything. Firstly, the blog has a fresh new look for our new start!  Secondly, the name has changed - we are now Crafty Cardmakers and More (you'll see why in a mo). And there are now three teams - two teams will work on the usual challenges in the same format as before - so cards, scrapbooking, etc etc. And a third will be responsible for a monthly mixed media challenge - no cards on this one. I am on one of the card teams - and the mixed media team. We are all looking forward to moving forward with the challenge blog this year.

We also welcome some new sponsors this year. This fortnight we have Flourish with a Bling. They are an Australia company and have loads of great blingy things on their website - and are offering a fantastic $15 gift voucher!

So - what are we asking of you on this first challenge? To 'Bear With Me'! Feebsy is hosting this time round and would like to see your creations which have a teddy bear or more realistic image of a bear as the focal point. Any type of bear will do - polar bear, grizzly bear, teddy bear etc.

I was a little stumped at first - until I remembered this gorgeous (and large) Hunkydory topper that I had in my stash. It is from an old Autumn collection (possibly 2011) - and as one of my resolutions is to use what I have this year, and try not to buy too much - then this really fitted the bill. I know that some crafters call this type of card 'pick and stick'. I don't like that term, as usually what comes with it is the implication that there is no crafting involved in using a printed topper like this. Some say 'they are great if you don't have much time' - and yes, they can certainly be a saviour for last minute cards. But they are also so much more. I suppose it's what you choose to do with them that counts - and I, for one, love using them!
As the topper was huge, I opted for an 8x8 card. I love the orange and yellow colour combination and decided to echo that through the card. The yellow card with leaves on, is the base card that came with the topper. The orange and greeny/yellow are from my extensive stash (one is from the local market - the other I think is Bazzill). Having played around with the layout, I settled on this vertical split. The decorative edge is cut with one of the inserts from Spellbinders Classic Petal Edgeabilities. The floral flourishes are also Spellbinders. I embossed the orange card with Grand MBossabilities Dainty Dots. The whole things was finished with ribbon from my stash - and gems from an Anita's Gemstone Wheel. 

In keeping with my New Year's resolution, I didn't buy anything new to use on this card. Luckily Santa was very good with his presents this year - a shed-load of Promarkers and a fair few new embossing folders. So I do have plenty of new things to play with!! 

Pop on over to Crafty Cardmakers and More to see what the rest of the Fairies (oh yes - that's what our new team is called - I am also an Elf when we do mixed media - and there are a few Pixies around too!!) have created!!

One of my new year's resolutions is to increase the number of followers on my blog. If you've chanced upon me - for whatever reason - please consider following me. I would be very grateful.

I would like to enter this into:
Suzy Bee's Bloomin' Challenge - Anything Goes

Card Makin Mamas - Anything Goes


See you soon.
Cxxx

7 comments:

  1. What a little cutie, thank you for joining us over at Suzy Bee's Bloomin Challenge, we would love to you again next week....
    Hugs
    Suzy B DT
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, I'm with you on the use of toppers, it's all about what you do with them. Love the colour combo.
    I hope that you can stick with your new year resolutions. If you can you are way better than me but I am now a follower so I hope that helps.
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful - love the warm colours and the sweet image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the topper you have used and the lovely rich colours on your card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card Carole, I think the colours are lovely. It might sound silly but I think if I received this card it would feel like a hug in itself.

    I also agree with what you say about toppers, it's how you use your creativity that makes them special. Crafting should be about making what you like as it's part of you you're putting into each creation.

    Wow I sound really soppy today haha

    Feebsy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year Carole ! love the use of the topper with that cute image and lovely warm colors also looking forward to working with you again at CCM and More.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your card - yellows always attract me and he is a very handsome bear! I for one love the hunkydory toppers... when you are pushed for time they are a godsend. And they also free up some time to spend on the background or base of the card!!

    I feel the same about cd images. A lot of people can be dismissive about cd crafting but I would be lost without my shelf of cds! I mix and match the images, it is so very useful to be able to print out some backing paper that matches tonally - I have spent many an unhappy hour trying to make my card because NOTHING I have on my shelves matches my topper that took so much love and time to produce.

    So yay! Team solidarity here from one of those Pesky Pixies...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx