About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Friday 11 May 2012

Felt Fun!!

So, a couple of my friends have their birthdays close to each other and we generally celebrate them together. For the past couple of years I have also given them handmade gifts (these will be revealed at a later date!!), and also have to come up with something new and different for their cards. 

This was not easy this year as I was severely lacking in inspiration, but eventually I had an idea. There seems to be a lot of people die cutting felt and making flowers at the moment, so thought I would give it a go. Nothing to lose - had a load of felt sat doing nothing - if it didn't work I wouldn't have cost me anything. 

This is one of the cards that I eventually made. I used a size 6 Craftwork Cards white scalloped edge card. The red mat is Bazzil, and the same card was used for the leaves - cut with one of the Spellbinders Foliage dies. The white card is Creative Expressions Coconut white from the neutrals pack. I used a Splendid Circle, and the large scalloped square (a nestie) is embossed with That Special Touch swirl mask.


The flowers are red felt, cut with the largest and middle sized Bitty Blossoms. It took a few runs through my Grand Calibur, but they did cut quite well.


The effect once they are rolled and glued (with my glue gun) is really quite stunning!! I impressed myself this time!! The finishing touch was some flat backed pearls along the egde of the white scalloped square, and two Creative Expressions white pearl hat pins. 

The other card was similar - this time a cream base card, the doodle daisies 'That Special Touch' mask, Spellbinders Lacy Doily and the milk card from the neutral pack - all finished with cream pearls and hat pins.


The brown felt did cause a few problems. It didn't cut right through despite numerous runs through the Grand Calibur. I ended up having to cut along the impressions of the lines. Was still very effective though, so wasn't too annoyed!!

I'd like to enter this into the following challenges:
Hooked on Craft Challenges - Flowers
Crafty Ribbons Challenge - Flowers
Do You Stack Up Challenge Blog - Use a Flower
Crafting for all Seasons - Handmade Flowers
Polka Doodles - Monochromatic

Back soon!!
Cxx

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful card. Love those red felt flowers - stunning.
    Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an elegant card. So pretty! I love the layout. Thanks for joining our challenge at Crafty ribbons! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love, love, love your felt flowers! You did a wonderful job! The design is fantastic. I like the darker one, too. Thank you so much for joining us at Hooked on Craft Challenges!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. I love your details. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons, good luck
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and elegant. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card, love your flowers!! Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week. Hugs, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful cards. Thanks for taking part in the Polka Doodles challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx