About Me

My photo
I'm a retired primary school teacher, who started paper crafting in 2008, when I had a fancy to make my own Christmas cards. Since then, I have tried all sorts of techniques and styles - and I kind of like them all. I have been lucky enough to be on blog teams and large design teams and to do a bit of freelance demonstrating - and I love the challenge of working with different products. My crafting style is very varied - from junk journaling and art journaling, bookbinding and journal making, to quilting and patchwork - and of course I still make cards. This variety keeps me interested - and my crafty stash growing!! I'm always seeking inspiration for new projects.

Monday 30 April 2012

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge #67 - For the Boys


Our Hostess for the challenge this week is SallyShe would like a male themed project. It  could be for a big boy, a little boy or a baby boy, so long as it's male themed.

We are sponsored this week by One Stop Card Crafts who are offering a prize of a £10 voucher for their shop.

And also by Digi Doodle Shop who are offering a prize of a $10 gift certificate for their store!!

I have used the Light House image from our sponsor - Digi Doodle Shop. I chose this because it is completely different to anything else I generally use for male themed cards and I was looking for a challenge. As always, I printed the image onto watercolour card, and heat set it with my heat gun. I then used my trusty watercolour tin to paint the image. To create the sky and water, I put a wash of just water over the area, then added colour into it.


I then had to decide on the background. I wanted a red, white and blue colour scheme to fit with a nautical theme, and chose to use the red gingham and navy blue crown papers from the 12x12 Papermania Portobello Road pack. I have to admit that my first attempt was a disaster - overly fussy and really detracting from the image. So I started again, and this time kept it simple.


The image and the mats are cut using Spellbinders nesties, and the corners of the large blue mat were rounded with an X-Cut corner rounder. The centre panel on top of the gingham paper is made from layering white grosgrain, blue satin and wine organza ribbons from my stash. I finished it off with tiny circle of white with blue gems. 

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:

That Craft Place Challenge Blog - One for the Boys
Daisy Doodles Creative Challenge - One for the Boys

Be back soon!!
Cxx

11 comments:

  1. I love this Carole.
    What weight of watercolour card do you print onto as I have had no luck with Digi's because I can't print on to card that I can use my watercolours on.
    Hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim - I use Crafters Companion 300gsm watercolour card - I have a printer that will feed heavyweight stuff from the back. I tend to use draft printing, leave it overnight (if possible) and then give it a good blast with my heat gun. I try not to flood the areas too close to the printed lines - but generally I don't have a problem. Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love your card, the water colouring is fantastic.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing!!! LOVE your coloring--it's gorgeous! The red, white, and blue are the perfect accents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carole what a stunningly serene card, perfect for this week's challenge
    Anne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful card, love the lighthouse image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! The simple layout looks fabulous with that gorgeous image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lighthouses and this is a great image. And a fabulous card.
    I use 300gsm watercolour paper when I watercolour although it's a bit hit and miss with my printer. I have to stand over it with my hand on the top of the paper to 'help' it thought but it doesn't always work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab image and love how you've coloured it. Lovely card :o) Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous card. The image is so great. Love the paper.
    Hugs
    Doreen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic card, love the colours and the image is beautiful. Thank you for joining That Craft Place Challenge Blog :-) Kezzy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! I really appreciate it!! Cxx